Friday, February 14, 2014

Dunkin Donuts - Valentine's Day


I'm addicted to Dunkin' Donuts and ever since I've started my new job, it's become even worse.  We may need to have an intervention, because co-workers are starting to call me "Dunkin."  With a nickname like that, you'd think there'd be some type of endorsement.  Maybe a gift card or lifetime supply of iced coffee in the winter?  But no, just me and a whole lot of money spent on donuts and bagels.  But hey, when they say America runs on Dunkin, they're not lying - at least on the east coast - because I can't start my day off without it.  It's become my morning tradition.


Now, I've always been a fan of Dunkin' Donuts during the holiday seasons because of the awesomely themed donuts they release.  For example, they just had Super Bowl donuts available in Broncos and Seahawks colors.  That's the type of dedication that I appreciate, but at the same time, I know they can do better.  Remember when their Halloween donuts were especially special?  Between orange spider web icing and candy shaped monsters on top, they truly went all out.  Those were the days and moments that shaped what is now nostalgia associated with Dunkin' Donuts.  To commemorate those times and to keep the tradition alive, Dunkin' Donuts has released a variety of Valentine's Day themed donuts that needed to be tried.  At the request of my cousin, Allie @AllieRandz, they're being reviewed for The Holidaze!


We have a few varieties to choose from here and they're all ready for Valentine's Day.  First, Strawberry frosted is my favorite on any day of the year, but Chocolate frosted is a close second.  The pink and red sprinkles add to the V-Day experience.  Especially made for the season, we have the heart-shaped donuts.  Boston Creme and Cupid's choice are great and have been around for a few years, but I really want to focus on the last two - Brownie Batter and the brand new Cookie Dough!  I hadn't tried either one of them and it was over due.  When my cousin told me I needed to talk about them on the site, it reminded me and inspired me to finally pick up a dozen.  Thankfully the snow didn't stop me.


First out from the box is the Cookie Dough donut.  Looks great, right?  The chocolate icing and chips would be enough, but the fact that there's a filling in there that tastes like cookie dough is even better.  I really didn't know what to expect, because it's a unique flavor for a donut, but I wasn't going to judge the book by its cover because, if I did, it would have already been a success.  We had to dive in there and really test it out.


Ahhh.. Unfortunately, I'm not feeling this variety of Valentine's Day themed donuts.  I don't really taste anything that resembles Cookie Dough and the filling looks too much like gravy for me to find appetizing.  For some reason, it's tangy and tastes more like a sweet, alcoholic, vanilla than anything close to cookie dough.  I don't know, maybe I got a bad batch, but this isn't something I'd buy again.  In theory, it's an awesome concept and I appreciate the effort, but I'm not a fan of this edition and won't be looking for it again in the future.  I hate to say that I didn't like it, because I really wanted to, but I'd have to give it a 5/10 and most of that is thanks to the chocolate chips on top of the icing.  But I'm curious to hear what you have to say.  Have you tried the Cookie Dough donut?  Did you like it?  Share in the comments below!


Next up, we have Brownie Batter which is entering its second year at Dunkin' Donuts.  For as much as I like brownies, I missed out on this one last year and was pumped to get another chance at it.  I had high expectations because Dunkin' Donuts brought it back in 2014 so that had to mean it was a success last year and left people wanting more.  So, going in, I really thought this one was going to blow me away and make up for the lackluster Cookie Dough.


Oh man.. Happy Valentine's Day to me!  This is amazing!  How in the world did I neglect the Brownie Batter donut in 2013?  This is like a gift from God.  I think he sent Cupid down from Heaven with a bow and arrow in one hand and a Brownie Batter donut in the other.  This will bring complete strangers together and I bet it leads to long-term relationships with Brownie Batter as their foundation.  It's so good..  I mean, I love brownies so I may be a bit biased, but this completely makes up for the Cookie Dough donut and should be a year-round offering.  If you haven't tried one yet, get it while you can!  They're only available throughout February and, believe it or not, we're halfway through the month!  Where is all the time going?

The Holidaze will keep the Valentine's Day posts rolling with one more at 4pm, today.  Check back later!

3 comments:

  1. I planned on eating lunch at home. But, now? I kinda want a gross V-Day lunch that consists of D&D donuts and coffee.


    Although I am totally avoiding that gravy-filled looking one. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good move avoiding the gravy donut! You don't wanna touch that, but you can't go wrong with a few of the other heart-shaped donuts on this day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DD can be hit and miss for me, too. I think it depends on where you go. I know a lot of people who prefer Starbucks, but the iced coffee that I drink is usually hard to mess up (not always!) I'm happy to hear you enjoyed reading. Making this day feel a little more important is always my goal! Haha! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...