Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Blue Moon Pumpkin Beer


Most likely, this is not new to you, but this is the first year I've ever noticed Pumpkin Beer.  I'm sure it's been around for a long time, but in my four years of being legal, I've never realized it's existence.  It wasn't until I started seeing Facebook statuses and pictures on Instagram that it came to my attention.  I thought, hey, that's pretty cool!  I'd like to try that!  But I didn't know if you had to buy them special somewhere or get them down at a local liquor store.  What do I know?  Give me an ice cold Coors and I'm good to go.  However, while shopping with the GF, we did find various types of Pumpkin Beer and opted to start with the Blue Moon brand!


This wasn't the coolest of packages or bottles that my girlfriend and I saw when we were out.  There were a few that symbolized Halloween much better than Blue Moon, but see, I'm not a huge fan of Pumpkin flavored anything, so I wanted to start with a brand that I am familiar with and actually like.  Besides, Blue Moon didn't do a horrible job with their designs at all.  I love the pumpkin patch and orange box.  The blue really pops against it and, as a Mets fan, I appreciate that.  Except for when we're talking about the Knicks.  In that case, unlike this box, blue and orange just doesn't work! ;)


The stickers on the bottle match the designs on the box and that's just the way I like it.  When it comes to drinking an ice cold beer, I don't need various designs to look at.  If not for this blog or the Halloween season, I'd give nothing more than a passing glance at both the box and bottle stickers, so I'm fine with them using the same design.  But, because we are in a Holidaze, every little detail counts.  So, take a closer look at the bottles and the wonderfully Fall designs.


First, this is obviously a Seasonal Collection.  I never knew beer manufacturers released seasonal collections, but I recently tried a Samuel Adams "Octoberfest" while out at Applebees and that was apparently a seasonal edition as well.  That's great because, now that I know, I'll definitely be on the look out for more.  Who knows what I'll find?  I recently found Buttered Popcorn and Glazed Donut flavored Vodka, so I can only imagine what type of Fall / Halloween ideas these crazy drunks have come up with.  If the soda companies won't quench my thirst for liquidized Falloween (like that combo?) flavor, then I'll turn to alcohol and find myself in more than just a 'daze!

Back to the design, we have a Blue Moon (who woulda guessed it?), the Blue Moon Logo, the official "Harvest Pumpkin Ale" name, and what seems to be a drawing of a Pumpkin Patch at dusk.  As you know, I'm a fan of art, graphics, designs, etc; but I don't know what type of drawing that is.  I'm sure there's a name for the style, because I've seen it plenty of times before, but I'm just going to call it crosshatched awesome.  That works for me.


We waited until that night to enjoy our "Harvest Pumpkin Ale" (I love that name!) because the weather was so cool!  The wind was blowing, the leaves were falling, and it was the perfect time to hang out on the deck with a cold one.  Not gonna lie, I was pretty pumped to try this bad boy out, but I didn't know what to expect.  I really dislike Pumpkin.  As I've written before, I hate Pumpkin Pie.  I got through Pumpkin Spice Marshmallows / Treats last year.  And I pass on the Pumpkin Pie Pop-Tarts every year.  I'm just not a fan, but I wish I was so that I could enjoy more of the season.  That's why I had to try this Pumpkin Beer.  Love it or hate it, it was mandatory that I throw one back.  It's part of the season, it's part of The Holidaze, so it's gotta happen!  Time to pop that bottle open!


Like my .GIF?  I got a little bit more creative and high-tech for all of you with this one.  I didn't even know I could make one look so good until I started playing around with different programs, but that's actually really good.  I probably enjoy it much more than you do, but that's why we'll keep this paragraph short and start pouring this sucker!


Take a look at how orange that beer is!  I really didn't know what to expect at this point.  Going by this picture, it looks like chunks of Pumpkin Seeds were pouring out into the Hard Rock Cafe glass.  I love the vibrant, Fall, color, but I wasn't so sure about the beer.




So, it's obviously a different color than regular beer or any other type of beer I've ever had, but those Pumpkin chunks my minds eye saw have now disappeared and this looks really good!  This beer had been refrigerated all day and it was extremely cold.  Even if it's technically still Summer, It was the best compliment to a beautiful Fall night.  Now, it's time to take my first sip of Pumpkin Beer!


I really had to idea what to expect.  Is this going to taste like Pumpkin Pie?  Maybe it will be similar to Sam Adams "Octoberfest" and only taste like caramel?  Maybe it won't have any flavor at all?  Why am I acting like such a little girl?  

Those were the thoughts going through my head as I took that first swig.  The result afterward?


Realllly didn't like this beer at first.  Nothing against Blue Moon or their Harvest Pumpkin Ale, it's just me and my distaste for everything Pumpkin.  I hate that I made that wimpy face.  I should have at least manned-up for The Holidaze.  I could have come here and lied to you about how I'm a dominant Pumpkin Chugger, but that was not the case.  I have to keep it real with ya, I didn't like it.  However, like my first beer years and years ago, Pumpkin Beer is also an acquired taste and it doesn't take much time to acquire it.  In a matter of not time, you're drinking this like it's Water-Fall (another classic combo!)


Look at me acting like it's no big deal now.  Like I wasn't just crying like a baby because the Harvest Pumpkin Ale was destroying my taste buds.  Now I'm a tough guy, eh?  Not really.. But I did begin to enjoy the beer quite a bit.  If you like Pumpkin, you're going to love Blue Moon "Harvest Pumpkin Ale."  It does have a punch of Pumpkin flavor, but it's not overwhelming.  It's similar to the Candy Corn Oreo Cookies tasting like Candy Corn.  In this case, I'm on the opposing end so I felt the brunt.  But I did like it enough to get it again and I'm looking forward to trying different brands and varieties.  At the end of the day, it's alcohol.  Nothing about it can be that bad ;)

 Cheers!!


Finally, before I conclude, I can't let this day go by without acknowledging the innocent men and women who lost their lives 11 years ago today.  Much like that day, they will never be forgotten.  I want to thank our troops, police officers, firefighters, port authority, doctors and nurses around the world who continue to do their duty to protect and heal the United States of America.  We owe them more than we can ever pay.  Without them, the true super heroes, we could never enjoy the meaningless silliness of the Holidaze.  God bless them, you, America and all those who strive for peace around the world.

To lighten the mood of a dark day, I leave you with a picture I made in May of 2011.  Remember, there is more good in the world than evil and, thankfully, one of our biggest enemies is no more.


2 comments:

  1. I know you're not a pumpkin fan but in your pumpkin beer quest, you should definitely try Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale. In my opinion, the crown jewel of pumpkin beers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale and almost picked it up. I didn't know which to go with, but I loved the graphics on the Shipyard bottles. Now, because of your comment, I'll definitely be picking it up and checking that out. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...