Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Halloween Soda?


Ya know, I was thinking about all the various products that brand themselves differently for the Halloween season and I realized that Pepsi and Coca-Cola don't bother.  Can you believe that?  It just doesn't make any sense.  If you've read The Holidaze at all, you'd know how much of a stickler I am when it comes to seasonal packaging.  It adds so much to the Holidays and increases my interest in the product.  So why do the top cola companies, who have both created amazing art in the past, no longer take part in Halloween?  I don't know the answer, but it disappoints me that I don't see orange Coke cans everywhere I go.


Pictured above is proof that Halloween Edition Soda did in fact exist.  At one point in time, Sunkist, A&W, Canada Dry and 7-UP all put on a costume for Halloween.  Personally, I don't remember ever seeing these mini cans, but according to this site http://www.drinkwhat.com/halloween-chill-for-color-changing-thrills-soda-drinks/ they were for real!

They look awesome!  If these cans were available now, especially this week, I would have picked up as many as I found.  But, unfortunately, nothing like this exists.  At best, I found a pack of orange soda with a Haunted House on the box and cans.  It was something, but not enough to make me go bananas.  Orange you glad I didn't say Orange?

All candy corny jokes aside, we're stuck with Jones Soda, which I've seen, but have yet to try.  I planned on doing so this year, but Target didn't have any in stock.  In recent years, they had shelves and shelves filled with Jones Soda, but not this Halloween.  At least I have Google Images..


Those cans would have been so friggin cool to have in my 'fridge!  I love the cartoon monsters, especially Frankenstein.  I know, he's really "Frankenstein's Monster," but I like calling him Franky better.  Those flavors just sound dreadfully amazing as well.  Lemon Drop Dead, Spookiwi, Candy Corn, and Buried Pomegranate?  That screams Halloween and is nothing but creative.  Sadly, unless I find some Jones' in the next week, I won't know if the flavor matches the can. 

Since I can't find any Jones Soda and the bigger companies won't do their part to make my Halloween even better, I decided to imagine what those cans or bottles would look like if they did.  These designs are not to scale, but for doing them in an hour, they're pretty good.  If Pepsi or Coke released anything even close to these next year, I'd be more than pleased.  Check 'em out!

Halloween Diet Coke


This is simple.  Take a classic Diet Coke design and add a spider web.  It isn't much, but it provides just enough spookiness to remind you of Halloween.

Haunted Diet Pepsi


This Haunted Diet Pepsi design would only work if Pepsi decided to change the color of it's classic red, white, and blue logo.  In my opinion, their logo is so iconic that they can afford to do so for a short period of time.  In celebration of Halloween, making the legendary logo look like the moon would be perfect for this broom-riding witch.  If I saw this in stores, I'd most definitely buy it.

Wild Halloween Cherry


This is design heavy, but it's worth it.  This time, we're not changing the logo, but we're adding purple and green which, in my opinion, are two of only four true Halloween colors.  The red cherries now have faces and the font is just as much evil as it is wild.  This would instantly catch my eye.

Halloween Edition Pepsi


What says "Halloween" more than the colors black and orange?  By changing the logo, we're once again messing with what people are used to.  However, I refuse to believe that Pepsi would drop in sales due to a color change.  No way.  In fact, I'd be willing to bet that sales would rise if Pepsi ever released a can designed this way.  Who wouldn't want to throw a Halloween party with this beauty in the cooler?

Blood Red Mountain Dew


I've always been a fan of Mountain Dew: Code Red, especially around Halloween because it looks like blood.  For that reason, coming up with this idea was easy.  I suggest that, for the month of October, Code Red should become Blood Red, complete with Dracula and all.  This is very design heavy, but Mountain Dew usually is.  They're also big on special editions, such as Pitch Black, so I don't see why this couldn't happen.  Read this and take my idea, MTN Dew!!

Halloween Coca-Cola


Finally, we have the most classic of all pops -- Coca-Cola.  As you know, Coca-Cola is known for their signature text and color scheme.  Pepsi is blue, and Coke is red, we all know not to differentiate the gangs.  But, for Halloween, this design is a must.  It maintains the classic appearance that Coca-Cola is known for while only changing the colors.  The addition of a Jack-O-Lantern smile provides customers with just enough Halloween spice.  But, really, the black and orange is what sells this soda.

As you can see, I have too much time on my hands.  But that's not the point.  The point is that these companies need to do whatever they can to enhance the Holidays.  This isn't hard and it would only benefit the producer and, most importantly, the consumer.  I'm sure Pepsi and Coke will never read this or even care, but if they do, I'd hope they take this post and use it to make their product better next Halloween.  Maybe we'll even get a Holidaze Edition.  A man can dream!








2 comments:

  1. Yup, those A&W, 7Up, Sunkist, and Canada Dry cans came out last year, and there are new ones this year. I've found them at Target, Wal-Mart, and our local grocery stores like Publix and Kroger. Orange Fanta also has a Halloween design this year, though you have to buy the 12 pack of cans to get it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info! That sounds great! I'll have to be on the look-out now. 5 days left!

    On another note, you're also the first person to ever comment on the Holidaze! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...